First Days At State

What a great first few days at NC State.

Last week was full of activities, ranging from breakfast with students to a Scope Lecture hosted by the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. Our office even rescued a dog within my first few hours on the job! The pollen was thick, the heat was extreme, my plate was full, but there was no better way to get a taste of life at NC State.

It was an important week for me. I had the opportunity to attend meetings of the student, faculty and staff senates, as well as meet with their leadership.

Chancellor Woods seeking approval for strategic plan from trustees
Chancellor Randy Woodson with the Board of Trustees

There was a Board of Governors meeting, where I was able to learn more about the pressing issues we are facing as a university system – concerns like the state budget and tuition increases.

All of these interactions allowed me to learn more about the people of this university and their questions and concerns about their future here.

As I’ve said since accepting this position, I want to learn all I can about NC State and the people it serves as I lay out the plans for the future of this university. I will continue to meet with folks across campus and will soon begin meeting people across this state as I launch a series of regional tours later this month.

My first trip will take me to Charlotte and will include a stop at the NC Research Campus in Kannapolis, meetings with university donors, an alumni welcome event for area alumni and a business leader breakfast.

Chancellor Woodson Coach Tom O'Brien and Bill Cowher
Chancellor Woodson chats with NC State Alumnus Bill Cowher and head football coach Tom O’Brien.

Throughout the first few months on the job, I will be making stops similar to this, focused on the seven economic development partnerships in the region. I look forward to learning more about NC State’s presence in this region and throughout North Carolina.

I hope you’ll keep coming back to read more about what your chancellor is up to. Also, please take advantage of the “Ask the Chancellor” feature on this site. We had a lot of great questions last week.

It’s a great way for me to learn what’s on the minds of the Wolfpack Community. And believe me, I’m listening and I’m learning.

Randy Woodson
Chancellor
NC State University